BBQ salad. Totally seems weird right? WRONG! This salad will blow your mind! Grilled romaine lettuce is a game changer. Add blackened corn on the cob and grilled avocado and you’ve got a hit! Throw in some black beans, feta cheese, crunchy tortillas, fresh salsa and a creamy avocado dressing and you’ve have a healthy veggie-friendly dinner – with THREE components prepared via the BBQ! And who said vegetarians have no fun during BBQ season?!
Disclaimer: my hubby actually came up with this delicious idea, so I can’t take all the credit???
Romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
Corn on the cob
Avocado, pitted & halved
Olive oil & salt and pepper for seasoning BBQ components
Can black beans, rinsed
Tortilla chips, crunched (or buy the ones already in strips)
Feta cheese, cubed
2 tomatos, chopped
Half a small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
Half a lime, juiced
Salt & pepper
Half of a ripe avocado
1 garlic clove
1 lime, juiced
Large handful cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water (more or less depending on consistency)
Salt & pepper
1. Heat BBQ and ensure grill is clean and lightly oiled.
2. Brush shucked corn, halved romain hearts and halved avocados with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Grill corn for about 10 mins, turning every 2-3 minutes to blacken. Grill romaine and avocado for about 5 minutes. Slice corn kernels off the cob once slightly cooled.
3. Prep salsa ingredients and mix together in bowl.
4. Blend all ingredients for avocado dressing in blender.
5. Place grilled components on a plate and add remaining salad ingredients. Top with fresh salsa and avocado dressing.