I’m a sucker for scones. Flaky, buttery and just enough sweetness, scones are the perfect afternoon treat. But since I am trying to fit into a wedding dress in less than three months (yahoo!), I made these lemon blueberry scones a little healthier than the traditional counterpart with the substitution of whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t consider these completely guilt-free, but they definitely aren’t the worst indulgence for your waistline.
I love cutting my scone in half and topping it with sliced avocado. This might seem a little odd, but I first discovered this lovely combo when I lived in Sweden for a short stint in time. That very first sunny spring morning I woke up in Stockholm, we made fresh blueberry scones, packed them, an avocado, fruit juice, and cycled through the city to an enchanting spot along the water and had a mini picnic. It is one of my most vivid memories of being over there and I remember feeling in a state of utter bliss with not a care in the world that day.
My love affair with Sweden grew strong after that first day, and even though it has been five years since I have been there, I still get snapshots of distinct moments of my time there on a daily basis. It was one of the happiest times of my life before becoming a mother. Now I have reached a level of love and happiness that I couldn’t have ever imagined before having children, and I am truly grateful I have been able to experience the love of travel and the love of motherhood in my life thus far. Just a wee bit off track here, but apparently I am feeling a touch nostalgia at the moment.
So basically, blueberry scones remind me of Sweden. But besides that fact, they are also super delicious. Lemon and blueberry is probably one of my favorite pairings out there, and this sweet yet tart flavour profile is perfectly suited to a flaky scone. So try this healthy(ish) recipe today and enjoy with a cup of tea while reminiscing of joyful moments from the past 🙂
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/79470/simple-scones/
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted frozen butter or frozen vegan shortening, grated
- ½ cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- grated lemon zest of 1 lemon
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- In large mixing bowl, add both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix. Grate frozen butter or vegan shortening and add into flour mixture using your hands until incorporated
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture using your hands until mixture can be formed into a ball
- Carefully incorporate frozen blueberries until they just stick to dough (over mixing will turn the dough purple)
- Form and roll dough into a circle (about 10 inch round) on a countertop. Slice like a pizza into 8 pieces and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for around 15 minutes until golden brown